3 1/2 cups quick-cook oats
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup butter (not margarine!)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup peanut meal (grind whole peanuts in a coffee grinder)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1. Melt the butter.
2. Combine oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and mix well by stirring.
3. Pour melted butter into mix and stir well.
4. Pour honey into mix and stir well.
5. Add peanut meal and sunflower kernels to mix and stir well again.
6. Microwave on high for 2:30. Stir well. Microwave on high for 1:30.
Stir well. Mix should just be beginning to bubble at the end of the 1:30.
7. Pour mix into a greased 13" x 9" casserole dish and spread out evenly with the back of a fork.
8. Cover and refrigerate until solid enough to cut into bars.
Camping Method (substitute 1/2 cup peanut butter for peanut meal):
1. Premix oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and sunflower kernels before leaving home. Carry in a moisture-proof container.
2. Melt two sticks of butter.
3. Pour mix into a large pot and mix in butter.
4. Mix in honey and peanut butter.
5. Heat mix with stirring until it begins to bubble.
6. Allow mix to cool some and then pour it into a one gallon heavy-duty (freezer-type) plastic zip-close bag. Flatten bag to spread mix out evenly. Cool bag any way possible: place in a cooler full of ice, double-bag and place in a 'clean' stream, bury it in the snow, or just wait. Cut the bag away from the cooled mix and slice into bars.
This recipe last updated: 1 November 2003